We are exposed to a cocktail of toxins on a daily basis. So detoxing the largest organ in our body – our skin, takes more than a little mask here and there. It really is an inside out job. Here are a few simple but affective tips on getting that glow.
A warm glass of water in the morning with fresh lemon gives your metabolism a morning shake up and helps the body start its detoxifying process internally.
Hydrating the skin from the inside out is vital. 8-10 glasses of water every day should do the job.
Simple Detox Clay Mask
This is a wonderful mask for detoxing and can be done once a week.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 2 herbal tea bags
- Large bowl for steaming
- Exfoliant (raw honey and fine sea salt)
- Natural clay mask (I would recommend Aztec Clay or Indian Clay Masks)
Time: about 30 minutes
Frequency: Can be done once a week
1. Boil water, and pour into a large bowl, then add your tea bags (Chamomile and Peppermint are great for this). Let it cool and brew for at five minutes. Now Steam your face (usual process of towel over head to create a tent and prevent steam from escaping). Steam for 7-10mins (or as long as you can bear it). Take slow deep breaths of the vapour. Steaming will open your poors, which the best way to begin the detoxification process.
2. Once you have steamed your face, it’s time to exfoliate. Take 1 teaspoon of raw organic honey, and 1 teaspoon of find sea salt (the best type you can find), mix this up so you get a scrub like paste. In circular motion, rub gently onto skin and exfoliate. Honey is a superfood and has a number of benefits for the skin from healing to deeply moisturising it. Salt is a natural detoxifier, as the salt absorbs the toxins from the skin. Once exfoliated (1 minute will suffice), wash face with warm water and pat dry.
3. Clay masks are amazing for cleansing the skin. Clay is super absorbent — it soaks up excess oils and toxins from your skin. Clay is also loaded with minerals that are wonderful for the skin. Apply a thin layer of Clay all over the face (avoid eye area ofcourse). Leave for 10 minutes and then wash off with warm water and a wash cloth.
4. Pat the skin dry and apply your usual toner (rose water is great if you have some lying around) and moisturise (Coconut Oil or almond oil is a great post mask moisturiser).
Voila – your skin should feel clean, supple and look glowy. Do this once a week for a month and see and feel the difference.
Food that is great to help you detox from the inside:
- Consume foods that are super effective in helping the body detox. Onions, broccoli, kale and cabbage are brilliant vegetables for cleansing. They help the liver convert toxins to harmless substances to be excreted out of the body.
- Ginger – a great digestive tonic
- Thyme – helps neutralize bugs, including strains of E. coli and staph that can cause serious illness.
- Lemon – contains antioxidant compounds that active detoxifying enzymes
- Blueberries – these tiny berries have anthocyanins; potent antioxidants that help your body eliminate toxins.
- Mango – full of fibre to aid digestion and packed full of vitamin C
- Parsley – a natural diuretic, parsley promotes the elimination of toxins in the urine
- Peppermint – more than just a breath freshener, peppermint is also a natural appetite suppressant and antimicrobial that eliminates germs in food and makes you feel fuller.
- Pomegranate – the juice contains punicalagin, an antioxidant that promotes detoxification
© 2014 Shroomantics ~ Rahima Begum
DISCLAIMER: Please note, I am not an expert in this field – these suggestions are a combination of personal experience and independent research. Please patch test all suggested treatments.